Murder Whiff in Cuttack House Fire Incident

Cops look at murder angle, Anita dies, death toll reaches Six

CUTTACK: With the death of an injured, the number of deaths in connection with the  Cuttack house fire mishap,  reached to six on Friday.

Critically injured Anita Sahoo, succumbed while undergoing treatment SCB Medical College and Hospital here Friday morning. Earlier, four persons, including three children, had died in the mishap occurred on Thursday evening.

Meanwhile, taking clue of the dying statement and prima facia the Commissionerate Police on Friday registered a murder case and initiated investigation into the gruesome incident.

Speaking to media persons, the Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Sanjeev Arora said, “On the basis of the dying statement of Anita Sahoo and a detailed report of Arun Sahoo, a murder case under Section 302 of IPC has been registered.”

Further, he stated, “In her dying statement before the Magistrate, Anita said her father, Anadi torched the room after pouring kerosene.”

The family dispute could be the possible reason behind the incident as Anadi’s children were unhappy about the second marriage of their father. Anadi’s first wife had died long back, Arora added.

Verification of a suicide note, which was recovered from the room, was conducted, and it is concluded that Anadi Sahoo had written that, said Arora.

Notably, two injured, Anita Sahoo and Anadi Sahoo, due to the house fire died this morning in the burn ward of the SCB hospital while undergoing treatment.

Anita was the sister of Arun Sahoo, who had taken the house on rent, whereas Anadi was the father of the tenant.

Notably, four of a family including three children were charred to death due to the fire in the room on Thursday evening while the injured father-daughter duo was admitted to the SCB hospital in a critical condition. Kuni Sahoo aged 40 was burnt alive with her three children in the fire. Kuni, a cousin sister of Arun, had stayed at the house with her children after visiting Bali Yatra.

Sources said the incident happened at around 7.30 pm. The fire in the house was not either due to the gas cylinder blast or short circuit as the scene at the spot does not say so.