Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Thursday directed expediting the establishment of Odia University and setting up Career Counselling cells in all 52 government colleges in 2018-19.
He also directed timely sanction and disbursement of scholarships and empanelling of only reputed coaching institutes based on their success.
The Chief Minister reviewed the activities of Higher Education Department here.
Highlights from the review:
- 75,203 laptops distributed in last 5 years among students for Rs 156 crore and 65,102 scholarships awarded in 2017-18
- Full waiver of fees for Degree & Post-Graduation Studies in Odia from 2018-19
- Kalinga Sikhya Sathi Yojana (KSSY) to promote higher education by providing study loan @ 1% Interest
- 5 lakh girl students covered under self-defence training program
- Establishment of 4 State Universities, 1 Private University and 8 Model Degree Colleges, 5 Training Centres in Universities
- Creation of 20,000 hostel seats for students & two Regional Directorates
- Relaxation of percentage marks for Vyasa Kabi Fakir Mohan Senapati Scholarship
- Amending scheme guidelines of Kalinga Sikshya Sathi Yojana for better coverage