Fire breaks out at Sadguru Covid Hospital

Fire breaks out at Sadguru Covid Hospital, Minister directs probe

Bhubaneswar: A fire broke out at the dedicated Sadguru Covid Hospital at Jagatpur in Cuttack on Monday.

There was no loss of life in the fire incident at the Covid hospital.

All the 127 Covid-19 patients undergoing treatment at the hospital have been evacuated safely, said an official.

Preliminary investigation revealed that the fire broke out due to an electrical short-circuit in one of the hospital’s air conditioners.

Chief Fire Officer (CFO) Sukant Sethi has informed that no fire safety license was issued to the hospital owing to some shortcomings.

Meanwhile, Odisha Health Minister Naba Kisore Das directed the concerned departments to inquire into the incident within 24 hours and submit a report.

“It has come to my notice that severe fire accident has occurred at Sadguru Covid Care Hospital, Cuttack. Since it is a matter of serious concern, officials of Fire Department, Electricity Department may be instructed to enquire the incident within 24 hours and report compliance for such negligence,” said the Minister.

Besides, CDM & PHO, Cuttack and other senior doctors of Cuttack may be instructed to inspect the hospital for taking immediate steps for smooth and safe shifting of patients to nearby Covid Care Hospital and arrange for immediate treatment, said Das.

The action taken in the matter may be appraised at the earliest, he added.