Bhubaneswar: Properties worth lakhs of rupees were burnt to ashes as a major fire spread in the CRPF Fourth Battalion at Rayagada during the wee hours of Saturday.
On being informed, fire brigades rushed to the site and extinguished the fire. Material like dresses, shoes and other equipment used by jawans were burnt to ashes. The cost of the materials is estimated to be Rs 50 lakh.
According to reports, the fire spread at around 1 am on Saturday. Fire brigades from Angul and Athmallik rushed in and brought the fire under control by 3 am.
Though the exact reason behind the incident was not yet known, it is suspected that an electric short circuit occurred in the storeroom that led to cause the fire and the blaze spread to other rooms thereafter.