Cuttack: Action will be taken against the operators of City Style Showroom for flouting fire safety norms, said Chief Fire Officer Sukanta Sethi on Monday.
He said the shopping mall didn’t have a fire safety license and any firefighting equipment as per the guidelines.
He said a case will be registered against the showroom authorities once the ongoing probe is completed.
Today, a three-member team led by Sethi started an inquiry into the circumstances that led to the outbreak of the massive fire in the three-storey garment store – City Style Showroom in Badambadi area on Sunday.
“Neither the showroom had fire frightening equipment nor did it obtain a certificate from the concerned authorities. The investigation is in progress. A case will be registered against the showroom authorities once the probe is over,” said Sethi.
Earlier in the day, City Style showroom area manager Manas Purohit said that the showroom adhered to fire safety norms in letter and spirit.
The three-storey garment store – City Style Showroom – was completely gutted in a blazing fire which also reduced three nearby shops to ashes.
At around 11.30 am on Sunday, some of the customers in the store noticed a fire – caused reportedly due to a short circuit – and alerted its staff. The fire was so severe that 21 fire tenders and 160 personnel had to be pressed into action to douse the flames in an operation that lasted for more than five hours.
Area manager Manas Purohit said that property worth Rs 2 crore was gutted in the fire.