Bhubaneswar: On the auspicious day of Gandhi Jayanti, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Tuesday flagged off the Mechanical Street Sweeping Project by the Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) near Regional College of Education (RIE) here.
He also laid the foundation stone for 60 smart, pre-fabricated stainless steel toilets, to be set up across 30 locations in the city.
The launching of the ultra-modern mechanical sweeping machine on Gandhi Jayanti holds the significance as Mahatma was perhaps the only political leader in India, who had emphasised on cleanliness much before the struggle for Independence.
The State Government has also announced the celebration of the 150th birth anniversary of the colossal leader in a grand way.
BMC Mayor Ananta Narayan Jena said, “New smart stainless steel pre-fabricated toilets would be the change makers in the city and especially during the World Cup Hockey they would help the people in a great way.”
BMC Commissioner Dr Krishan Kumar said, “The mechanical sweeping will ensure better air quality across the city along the 80 km corridor. The machines can collect dust type of Particulate Matter (PM) from size 2.5 to 10.”
MECHANICAL STREET SWEEPING
BMC through two agencies will implement mechanical sweeping on an identified road network across the city from October 2. Through tender the process the civic body has selected two agencies for a contract period of three years.
The two agencies will do a pre-operational free trial run from October 2nd to October 9th. Once the agencies complete the free trial run, they will start their operations.
M/s Pro Power Sweeping Pvt. Ltd. (JV with M/s Lion Services Ltd.) was selected for Package-I having total road length of 36.85 km and M/s United Air Express was selected for Package-II having total road length of 42.53 km.
BENEFITS FOR CITIZENS
- Mechanical sweeping will control air pollution to a greater extent.
- It would also help the sweeping crew from health hazards.
- The process will control air pollution as it would also collect dust type of Particulate Matter (PM) from size 2.5 to 10
- Roads would last longer by making them cleaner and litter free.
- The overall sweeping cost across the city by mechanical sweeping will be less than the manual sweeping through the sweepers.
60 PRE-FABRICATED MODULAR SMART TOILETS
BMC through Eram Scientific Solutions Private Limited will install 60 pre-fabricated modular Smart toilets across the city.
BENEFITS FOR CITIZENS
- The prefabricated stainless steel Smart toilets will bring a new concept in having well-maintained hygiene toilets to the city.
- Out of these 30 are specified for men and rest 30 for women. So at one place or location, one will be for men and the other for women.
- The fully automatic ones are having the Smart capability to clean the toilets on its own and thus would provide perfect cleanliness resulting in zero or no contamination from urinary tract infection or UTI like illness.
- The fully automatic ones would require card-based entry and the semi-automatic are manually operated.