Bhubaneswar: The Odisha government on Tuesday announced expenditure rationalisation measures in view of the economic downturn due to Covid-19 pandemic.
Some key austerity measures
- There shall be a complete ban on creation of new Odisha govt posts except for Health & Family Welfare Department.
- In case there is absolute necessity for creation of posts for modernization of administration or effective implementation of development and welfare programmes, the same shall be considered only against abolition of equivalent posts with concurrence of Finance Department.
- There shall be automatic abolition of redundant posts which have remained vacant for more than 5 years. All the Administrative Departments are to issue formal abolition order by 31st July 2020 and furnish a report to Finance Department and G.A and P.G Department.
- New engagement of consultants, outsourcing and engagement of retired Government employees shall be restricted and prior concurrence of Finance Department would be required for the purpose.
- No new State Schemes/ Projects to be taken up by Administrative Departments except Health & Family Welfare Department. However, if any new scheme is essentially required for emergent public service, the same can be taken up only after appraisal by EFC/SFC following the due procedure and with specific concurrence of Finance Department for any expenditure under such scheme.
- There shall be capping of expenditure on continuing State Schemes for the current financial year 2020-21 except schemes relating to Livelihoods in Agriculture & allied sector and expenditure for combating COVID-19.
- There shall be complete ban on purchase of new vehicles for the next two years
- Travel/ official tours have to be avoided in general. Video Conferencing / use of IT for meetings/ official work should become preferred default mode.
- There shall be complete ban on travel outside the country and air travel in business class using government funds. Air journey should be avoided and meetings through Video Conferencing may be preferred.
- In exigencies approval of authority one level higher than the present delegation would be required for journey by air.
- There shall be complete ban on purchase of new equipment except medical equipment and equipment required for internal security. However, equipment required for promoting digital communication can be procured with concurrence of Finance Department.
- There shall be complete ban on journey by train in 1st class AC by Government Officers